- "The Vice President in the U.S. Senate: Examining the Consequences of Institutional Design." Forthcoming. Congress & the Presidency. with Michael Lynch, Anthony Madonna, and Mark Owens.
- "Public Attitudes Toward Presidential Veto Powers" 2018. Research & Politics 5(1): 1-6. with Joel Sievert.
- "Candidate Ideology and Electoral Success in Congressional Elections." 2017. Public Choice 1-18. with Jamie Carson.
- "Institutional Control of Redistricting and the Geography of Representation." 2017. Journal of Politics 79(2): 722-726. with Michael Crespin, Barry Edwards, and Maxwell Palmer.
- "Re-evaluating the Effects of Redistricting on Electoral Competition, 1972-2012." 2014. State Politics and Policy Quarterly 14(2): 162-174. with Jamie Carson and Michael Crespin.
- "Candidate Emergence in the Era of Direct Primaries." Forthcoming. In Handbook of Primary Elections. Robert Boatright, editor. Routledge. with Jamie Carson.
- "Introduction to Congressional Elections." 2016. In Guide to U.S. Elections 7th ed. Deborah Kalb, editor. Congressional Quarterly Press. with Jamie Carson.
Other Projects in Preparation
- "Estimating the Effect of Redistricting on Ideology in the Post-Wesberry Era."
- "House Primary Elections and Their Institutional Influences."
- "A Reconsideration of Disaster Declarations as an Exercise in Unilateral Power."
- "Questions of Order in the United States Senate: Procedural Uncertainty and the Role of the Parliamentarian." with Michael Lynch and Anthony Madonna.
- "Interbranch Warfare: Senate Amending Process and Restrictive House Rules.'' with Anthony Madonna and Jordan McKissick.
- "Policymaking by the Executive: Examining the Fate of Presidential Agenda Items." with Jason Byers and Jamie Carson.
- "The Rhetoric of Healthcare: A Topic Model of Congressional Speeches, 1944-2012.'' with James E. Monogan III and James Strickland.
- "Assessing the Rise and Development of the Incumbency Advantage in Congress." with Jamie Carson and Joel Sievert.
- "Candidates, Competition, and Polarization in U.S. House Elections, 1872-2014." with Jamie Carson, Mark Owens, and Joel Sievert.
- "Constituent Evaluations of U.S. Senators Over the Electoral Cycle." with Joel Sievert.
- "Who Gets Blamed When Congress and the President Collide?" with Joel Sievert.